Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Prevention Firewall

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:19:03 +0200

"Berny Stapleton (Sydney Technology)" wrote:

I think some attack signatures should be trusted, blatently
obvious ones like TCP/UDP scans from the same host. I think a
half hour ban on this type of traffic

Good idea. Block IPs that do TCP and UDP scans. [1]

Let's see now... I foresee a cloudy day with heavy UDP showers
from 198.41.0.4 interspersed with light TCP rain drifting
in from 128.9.0.107 and 192.33.4.12.

There is also a slight risk of bad weather in the general
vicinity of 203.7.199.11.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

"And thus we retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply
 the wire brush of enlightenment" -- Geoff Miller.

[1] I'm not trying to make you feel bad for saying this before
    thinking it through all the way; believe me. There are however
    quite a few commercial boxes that actually do this. One would
    think that they'd know better. &%#&%¤#%#