Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Prevention Firewall

From: Vern Paxson <vern () icir org>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 15:11:02 -0800

But beware: as soon as you hook your IDS to an access control mechanism,
so that when the IDS detects something it closes off access, what you
have just done is build a flakey access control policy. If you thought
the costs of managing IDSs was high, wait until you try this :)

The counterpoint: this can be very powerful, depending on your IDS.  At LBL,
Bro drops various forms of hostile activity automatically, and we find that
it makes a *big* difference in lowering the break-in rate (which we know
because we see how the rate goes up when the reactive system is turned off).

                Vern