Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump on my firewall

From: Chad Schieken <cschieken () lucent com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:25:12 -0400

I agree with Fred that this is a policy issue, but I also see a few other view points:

1. this is an invaluable troubleshooting tool. It's helped me develop a detailed understanding of poorly documented transactions/protocols in many situations.

2. The risk of having the software on the box, can be mitigated pretty well. File permissions can be setup so only root can execute (or even read) tcpdump. Also permissions can be created on the devices to restrict access as well -- although that's a complicated step with lot's of implications. Buffer overflow exploits aside, other similar steps can be taken, such that it boils down to the only if some one has root access *before* they can run tcpdump. :

I'm not trying to downplay the risks of the buffer overflow exploits, but that risk is minimized by only running TCP for short periods to do specific tasks. The window of exposure in this case can be quite managable.

3. in some environments it's alot easier to do this type of sniffing using tcpdump, vs. installing dedicated sniffers in the network.

All of this begs the question, to the original poster -- why did you reject the request in the first place? Certainly the case can be made either way, and every environment is different.