Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: tcpdump on my firewall

From: <hesselsp () ashaman dhs org>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:41:18 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, R. DuFresne wrote:

One quick question, if the OS the fw runs on is sun based, do you make
sure snoop is removed also?

snoop isn't on my solaris image.  I haven't had anyone ask for it either
though.  If/when they do, I will tell them no.  If/when they demand it I
will have to read through all these emails again trying to find a reason
why it should not be there.  It isn't a perfect policy, but its what I
have... and it has worked so far.

Opps, make that two quick questions, the second being, if you have no
account on the fw at all, who monitors or audits the system to make sure
it is policy compliant?

In the future, when audits are done of the system, any software which is
not supposed to be there will be caught.  I honestly trust the techs that
administer them though; how can you not trust the person you are relying
on to administer your firewall? (rhetorical question)

Thanks,

Ron DuResne

--Paul