Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump on my firewall

From: Jose Nazario <jose () biocserver BIOC cwru edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 hesselsp () ashaman dhs org wrote:

I have had a request to put tcpdump on our firewall by one of our tech
guys.

I have told him that I will not do so, and he wants a good reason why.

a) tcpdump has had root exploits in the past, they will probably come back
up again:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=tcpdump

use the cve and bigtraq databases. they are your friends in such a time.

b) performance. tcpdump slows down packet processing, among other things,
and on a router/gateway thats a noticable hit.

suggestion: throw a switch in there and use the reflector port to monitor
stuff with a laptop. if you are worried about the laptop getting
compromised while sniffing use tcpdump at layer two. on (at least OpenBSD)
ifconfig ep1 up (note no address given) and start tcpdump -ni ep1 ....
works like a champ.

i hope this helps.