Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: Sniffing out a firewall problem

From: "Carl Friedberg" <friedberg () exs esb com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:51:13 -0500

Dodge wrote:

One other reason I prefer hubs there over switches is that I find it
easier to
debug network issues by sniffing the wire. Of course, I may have
sniffed more
traffic than many people at this point. ;-)

No doubt, sniffing is much easier on a hub than a switch. My point is
simply that it takes less effort to observe all the traffic on the
outside leg of a network if a hub is used to connect the nodes, than if
a switch is used.

Unmanaged switches are available and cheap. For instance, an 8 port HP
unmanaged switch can be bought (J4097B) for $133 USD from their website.

Finally, while it is not likely to be an issue on the outside leg of
most networks, throughput will usually be much higher on a switched
network than on a hubbed network...

Carl Friedberg