Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Sniffing out a firewall problem

From: "Stephane Nasdrovisky" <stephane.nasdrovisky () uniway be>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:04:39 +0100

There is no added value in using a switch instead of a hub. The added value
comes if you configure all your server for static arp entries. It is easy to
abuse the arp protocol in order to be able to sniff the whole traffic:

.Keep track of all arp-query broadcast your sniffer see on the network.
.Send gratuitous arp to every ip address collected and for every ip address
collected on a regular basis.
.This will tell every host to send traffic to your mac address.
.Route the traffic to the right mac address.

This way, you'll seemlessly sniff other servers traffic.

Anyway, I do prefer switches, but not for the false sense of security: I
like not to see too much garbage when doing snoop/tcpdump.

Two point for hubs agains switches:
.some well-known security vendors are not aware of these innovative devices
so that their high availability solutions are not supported on switched
networks.
.switches are more complex then hubs and thus, more exploit-prone. I guess
you known you have to disable any in-band management of your switch if you
don't want trouble: cisco had security breaches in their http,telnet and
snmp deamons.

If you really have to implement security at these layers of a network, you'd
better use some kind of switching firewall.

Carl Friedberg wrote:

On a network exposed to the outside (internet) you should NEVER run a
hub. A hub allows an intruder easy access to any device attached to the
hub, including sniffing traffic between multiple nodes which would never
be "visible" if you were using a switch.

I completely agree that there is no cost reason to use a hub. There is
NO reason to use a hub where security is of any concern.

I might consider using a hub in a protected region behind a firewall to
connect 10/hdx devices (such as a UPS monitor or similar appliance); or
in a test environment; but only to make use of something which is
otherwise consigned to the trash heap.

Carl Friedberg
carl () comets com