Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sniffing out a firewall problem. (Alan Young)

From: "Don Jones" <don.jones () linuxmail org>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 10:08:40 +1100

Subject: [fw-wiz] Sniffing out a firewall problem.

I have checked and sniffer software appears to be very expensive?
Is there freeware that is available for Win32?

Ethereal is a very capable Open Source / Free Software (GNU GPL) sniffer, which as been ported from its native UNIX
environment (note this is not freeware - freeware is a form of propriety software which does not usually make its
source avalible, and the authors ask you to buy the softeware if you use it).You can find it at:
http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

Note that you also need to install winpcap the windows equivalent of libpcap (this does the actual packet capturing)
http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/

Ethereal is a good example of the quality of open source solutions for network monitoring, there are many other
excellent examples (tcpdump, nmap, ntop, snort etc.) some of which have windows versions - I would recomend using these
on a laptop (preferably running *BSD or Linux) as a mobile network monitoring
station for trouble shooting / security monitoring etc.

Don Jones