Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Leader in firewall product

From: John Alsop <jalsop () borderware com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:07:33 -0400

Rick Murphy wrote:

At 10:27 AM 9/18/2000 +0200, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Magos=E1nyi_=C1rp=E1d?= wrote:
-Borderware
Borderware is just a hardened Gauntlet running on a hardened BSD.
(Okay, maybe it isnt gauntlet, but the feeling is the same).
It has an ST which claims it to be EAL4, but I cannot imagine
how could that ST got evaluated (not big issues, but I had
some formal problems with it).

Gauntlet was ITSEC evaluated at E3, which is roughly equivalent to EAL4.
As you may know, it's all in how much security the ST provides ;-)
There's lots of EAL3 firewalls around; some of them conform to the NSA
firewall PP set, some don't.

The company that built Borderware was once a Gauntlet reseller - that may
explain the similarities between Borderware and Gauntlet.
         -Rick

Just to set the record straight:

1.  BorderWare is EAL4 certified and has a strong Security Target (ST)
compared to other products that have been evaluated.  See
http://www.borderware.com/certfaq.html for more information. The
Security Target and Evaluation Report documents are both available for
public inspection at
http://www.itsec.gov.uk/cgi-bin/cplview.pl?docno=145

2.  There is no connection whatsoever between BorderWare and Gauntlet.
I'm not sure who Rick is referring to in his comment "The company that
built Borderware was once a Gauntlet reseller" but the statement is not
correct. The BorderWare Firewall was originally developed by Border
Network Technologies Inc. (of which I was the founding President), was
acquired by Secure Computing Corporation, and since 1998 has been a
product of BorderWare Technologies Inc. None of these companies to my
knowledge was ever a Gauntlet reseller.

--
John Alsop
President & CEO