Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Leader in firewall product

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:19:09 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Jim Seymour, sie wrote:
=?iso-8859-2?Q?Magos=E1nyi_=C1rp=E1d?= <mag () bunuel tii matav hu> wrote:

A levelez?m azt hiszi, hogy LULLIER Thomas a k?vetkez?eket ?rta:
I'm looking for 5 to 7 firewall products to evaluate.
I know Firewall 1 and Raptor. I've heard about the Matra solution.
Can anybody give me a list of roughly 5 other firewalls that have a serious
support and that can be sold outside the US ?

In decreasing order of secureness:

-Dragonfly
-Zorp
-Cyberguard
-Borderware
-Gauntlet

Eh?  Gauntlet is less secure than everything mentioned so far?

Would you be so kind as to explain exactly why you feel this to be the
case?  IIRC: once-upon-a-time, Gauntlet was regarded by many as being
the *most* robust of firewall products, security-wise.  (I'm talking
about 'nix versions.  I care not a whit for or about NT.)

Then someone bothered to actually read the source they offered and got the
shock of their life.  More seriously, if that's what they were considered
to be and their source code "needed work", then I hate to think of the
state of play for less considered firewalls.  Gauntlet has bigger problems,
IMHO, which stem from the way it is configured (at least 4.X was a PITA).

Darren