Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NetMeeting with NAT

From: "Robert Graham" <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:54:12 -0800

We've been implementing some of the latest multimedia protocols in order to
both pass them through the personal firewall and do IDS on them. Some of
them are truly nasty.

"Stateful" firewalls rarely keep enough state around in order to track the
entire TCP connection, they instead just keep the state around for one or
two packets. Some of the newest protocols require keeping state starting
with the first byte in the connection. VoIP in particular has some nasty
compressed ASN.1 formats that require heavy duty processing in order to
track things correctly, which is far behind the complexity levels of
traditional firewalls.

I believe that packet-based firewalling for outbound clients is going to get
progressively tougher and tougher.

Rob.