Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN on NT

From: Jonathan Feldman <Jonathan () chathamcounty org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:33:38 -0500

PoPToP for Linux (PPTP server) seems to work ok from a functionality standpoint - and it's free.  The benefit, of
course, is that every Win9x/NT box in the universe has a free client for it.

I've used it VERY casually, and have not done extensive lab tests viz performance or security.  I know that MS's
initial implementation of PPTP was thoroughly lambasted by Schier among others; I'd be interested in whether folks have
done a similar study of PoPToP.  Anyone?

Cheers,

--Jonathan
Chatham County ICS http://chathamcounty.org
Contributing Editor, Network Computing Magazine http://nwc.com
"Teach Yourself Network Troubleshooting"
"Network+ Exam Guide" http://feldman.org

Jeremy Noetzelman <jjn () peoplelink com> 10/26 4:02 PM >>>
I'm looking to find a good (preferably free) VPN product for NT/98 use,
the server should be unix based ... right now we use FreeSWAN for unix
VPN, but we need a good solid windows client to grant the windows users
remote vpn access.  Anyone have any pointers?

--

Jeremy Noetzelman
Director of Network Architecture

                               !