Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

port number muse

From: Jay Nayegandhi <jnay () intface com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:23:58 -0400

I often see questions like what is port number xyz used for.  I presume list
members see someone trying to access an unfamiliar port a significant number
of times and want to know what's going on.

I am curious about what action you take:  Do you block access to that port
before finding out what it is and wait for someone to show up saying
such-and-such application no longer works, or do you find out what it is
used for and then decide what to do about it?  Or is this the kind of thing
that gets defined as part of a security policy for a network?

Thank you,

Jay