Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: High Speed Firewalls

From: Jonathan Rozes <jrozes () vinton com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:02:06 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Mikael Olsson wrote:

Actually, no. The TCP Window Scaling option (WSOPT) defined in
RFC 1323 can scale the window size up to 2^256 times. It was
implemented to cope with the concept of "Long Fat Networks",
meaning high throughput, high delays.

Are you sure? By my reading it makes the max window size 2**30, or 1GB.

Unfortunatelly, increasing the window size eats a hell of a
lot of RAM on the sender end, so I don't know of many places
that actually use it, and I don't know which OSes support
it. I'd suspect a lot of *nix flavours do (atleast I keep
seeing WSOPTs in their SYN packets), and that.. uhmmm. some
big commercial OSes don't.

Neither NT4 nor MacOS support it. Win98, Win2k and probably MacOS X
support it though. Most unices support it as well.

jonathan

+++ Jonathan Rozes, System Administrator, Will Vinton Studios