Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: High Speed Firewalls

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () enternet se>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:26:02 +0100

Ryan Russell wrote:

I think at some point, your constraining factor might get to be
latency.  The window size can only get to be 64K, right?

Actually, no. The TCP Window Scaling option (WSOPT) defined in
RFC 1323 can scale the window size up to 2^256 times. It was
implemented to cope with the concept of "Long Fat Networks",
meaning high throughput, high delays.

Unfortunatelly, increasing the window size eats a hell of a
lot of RAM on the sender end, so I don't know of many places
that actually use it, and I don't know which OSes support
it. I'd suspect a lot of *nix flavours do (atleast I keep
seeing WSOPTs in their SYN packets), and that.. uhmmm. some
big commercial OSes don't.

$.02 and a bit OT, I know :-)

/Mike

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46 (0)660 105 50           Fax: +46 (0)660 122 50