Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: High Speed Firewalls

From: "Linder, Daniel G." <Daniel.Linder () NorstanConsulting com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:30:41 -0600

Excuse me if this has been hashed through before, but there are a couple
other things that I have not heard discussed in reference to throughput but
I'll bring them up anyway:

        1 - Have you tried just doing a "time dd if=/path/to/12.5MB.file
of=/dev/null"?  This will tell you the maximum speed the server (assuming
UNIX) can pull the file off of the hard drive.

        2 - Try "time dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/12.5MB.file bs=500k
count=25"?  This will (if I did my math right!) create a 12.5MB file from
the /dev/zero device.  This should show how quickly the server (again UNIX)
can blast 12.5MB to the drive.

        3 - Try disabling *EVERY* daemon/service and just doing the FTP
and/or the above tests.  I am certain that even a stripped down OS will
cause some contention.

Dan