Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ - the physical layer

From: fernando_montenegro () hp com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:50:39 -0500

Hi!

This question is one of those where you *really* need to ask yourself about the
risks and benefits of all approaches.

Glossary:
"firewall LANs" - all the networks between the external router's ethernet
interface and the internal router's "outer" interface.
"corporate LANs" - all the networks in the corporation up to the internal
router's internal interface (ie, not the firewall LANs)

Possible scenarios:
1) Using separate hubs/switches for each subnet in your firewall LANs:
Pros - Virtually impossible to have traffic mixed up without physical access to
the rack
     - Virtually impossible to change DMZ setup without physical access to the
rack
     - Probably Cheaper to buy multiple simple hubs/switches than one fancy,
larger, switch.

Cons - Adds complexity to hardware needs, such as extra rack space, extra power
outlets, ...
     - Makes changes to a LAN (such as adding servers to the web farm) harder
     - Makes a more resilient (not HA) configuration harder: more individual
components to duplicate

2) Using one switch for all the firewall LANs, separate from any corporate LAN
switches:
Pros - Simpler hardware requirements (power outlets, rack space, possibly
cabling)
     - Much easier to add resilience (only one place to add redundant power
supply, for example)
     - Much more versatile configuration (only logical changes in VLANs)

Cons - Flexibility in VLAN configuration introduces possibility for DMZ setup
errors because of human mistakes
     - The existence of bugs in the switching gear might lead to DMZ
compromise, such as access to "internal" traffic

3) Using the same switch for firewall LANs and corporate LANs:
Pros - Much simpler hardware requirements (power outlets, rack space, possibly
cabling)
     - Much easier to add resilience (only one place to add redundant power
supply, for example)
     - Much more versatile configuration (only logical changes in VLANs)

Cons - Flexibility in VLAN configuration introduces possibility for DMZ setup
errors because of human mistakes
     - The existence of bugs in the switching gear might lead to DMZ
compromise, such as access to "internal" traffic

Personally, I would strongly advise everyone to stay off option "3": the
simpler hardware requirements do not justify the risk associated with having
internal (as in SAP, payroll, ...) corporate traffic showing up on an external
web server's (possibly compromised) collision domain...

Choosing between 1, 2 or variants is really up to policy and the functionality
associated with each subnet in the firewall LANs. I have seen setups similar to
"2", but with two switches: one for "external" and "service" subnets and
another for "internal" or "admin" subnets.

I know people who will accept nothing but "1" and some that feel the benefits
of "2" pay off the increase in associated risk.

Caveat emptor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Fernando
--
Fernando da Silveira Montenegro     Hewlett-Packard Brasil
HP Consulting - IT Security         Al. Rio Negro, 750 - Alphaville