Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ - the physical layer

From: Ben Nagy <bnagy () cpms com au>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:21:52 +1030

-----Original Message-----
From: John White [mailto:johnjohn () triceratops com]
Sent: Wednesday, 8 March 2000 1:02 PM
To: firewall-wizards () nfr net
Subject: [fw-wiz] DMZ - the physical layer

I was looking through the archives of the greatcircle
firewall list and came across some opinions regarding
the construction of DMZ's.

I'm using Baystack 450's as my backbone switches.
Bay 450's have a virtual lan function which can
be used to limit a collision domain to specific
ports.  I was planning on using this function to
create the DMZ.

Nooo....

However, I ran across some opinions that this type of
action was quite foolish.

Can someone give me the cons to this proposal?

An option would be to buy a cheap Netgear switch
(under $500) to be a physically separate DMZ.

Pros and cons on that vs the virtual lan?  $500
is a small price to pay if there are security problems
when using a vlan aa a DMZ.

John

VLANs aren't designed to be security barriers with the assurance of
firewalls. If you're worried about your security then don't use 'em. The key
problem lies in the special packets/headers that the switches use to work
out which VLAN an ethernet frame is in (and the possibility of forging such
packets/headers to trick the switch).

All (that I can envision) of the exploits require layer-2 tricks - in other
words for remote penetration you need to gain enough control over something
so that you can mess with its ethernet drivers or install software that can
write raw frames. Also note that this is not a design flaw. A switch that is
designed and configured correctly should (in theory) be immune to this kind
of problem. However, there has been at least one demonstrated exploit (check
the bugtraq archives - it was on a Cisco catalyst switch [1]).

If it were me I'd take the assurance of the air gap.

Cheers,

[1] From memory this exploit is not terribly applicable to your case, but
it's an example of VLAN busting. The problem in the bugtraq'ed case lay in
trunk ports between two VLANs being vulnerable to specially crafted frames.
This is easy to avoid.
--
Ben Nagy
Network Consultant, Volante IT