Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE:

From: "Joe Ippolito" <joe () joesnet com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:17:38 -0800

If I am interpreting your questions correctly, I believe you are trying to
do static address translation.  If so, have you set up your static
translations in %systemroot%\fw\state\local.arp?   You will need the IP's of
each "legal" address and the MAC address of the firewall's external NIC.
Use IPCONFIG /all and copy the MAC address from the external interface (it
is easier that way).  A reboot is required.  Also, if you are using the
automatic NAT within the object you should not have to create a second
(external) object.

Better yet, don't do static address translation.  I do not believe it is
worth the complication.  Put your mail relay, web, ftp, etc. in a DMZ with
real addresses and give your internal network private (10.x, 192.168.x,
172.16-31.x) addresses.  Use "hide" translation for the internal network.
Hide translation provides added security but I am not sure static
translation does much more than make life more complicated.