Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Killing Napster

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:37:56 -0800

It seems to me that given the fact that napster has a
changeable port #, and given the fact that it appears to
want to initially connect to the Napster network (when
installing anyway) perhaps you can also block those addresses
as a further measure.

FROM ARIN:

Global Crossing (NET-GBLX-5)        GBLX-5
208.178.0.0 - 208.178.255.255

Napster, Inc. (NETBLK-FGC-REQ000000003596) FGC-REQ000000003596
208.178.175.128 - 208.178.175.135

Phil

On 17 Feb 00, at 10:34, Jayson Broughton boldly uttered:

Andrew,
When installed, and setting up a user Napster connects to TCP port
1041 at 208.178.175.132:rmt.  After the user information is setup and
stored on their server, the program searches for an open port.  In
this case it was TCP 6699. When you are communicating with users in
a chatroom, or connected it seemed to like tcp 6700 to 208.178.175.132:1245.
The program allows users to get mp3's of your computer if they connect
to you and you have a certian folder shared(default napster/music).
I am sure you can turn this off in the preferences.  And I know you
 can specify it not to share when you are installing.  To see what port
that your user is running active: Execute Napster Music Community, goto
File: Preferences: dataport.  This will show you what port is listening
on the computer and allow you to change it.  So if you don't want your
user to be using napster, just block that port.  Of course napster
was probably designed knowing that someone would do this and the
programmers let that port be changable.  Best way is to just remove
napster all togeather if you dont' want them to get though.