Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Expert Advice for the "Rook"

From: "Larry Krauss" <larry () krauss com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 00:31:02 -0500

I am looking to isolate a home network from the Internet and am looking for some basic advise.

I have 2 network cards in a server and am expecting to connect my cable modem to one and my internal network to
another.  I know there are some "personal firewalls" but I have no idea how good they are. I also understand that Black
Ice is a fairly, easy to configure, somewhat secure, inexpensive solution for the home. I don't know if it willl do
NAT? I would need this capability for the 2 card scenerio, correct? Static, Dynamic?  If Black Ice doesn't have the
capability, is it necessary? If necessary would you suggest a reasonably priced firewall?

Thanks. Larry.