Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Squid Firewall + Proxy

From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins () itdomain com au>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:54:47 +1100

Hi Cristoph,
    The best places for you to get information on squid is the squid website - http://www.squid-cache.org. There is a
FAQ and users
guide there that covers setting up Squid, including the squid.conf file, as well as a mailing for peer support.

FYI Squid is not a firewall, and MS Proxy's http gateway is not either. They are both HTTP proxy cache servers.

Regarding your specific questions:
1)You need to add an acl for the class C network.

ie
acl office src 192.168.0.0/24

and then allow traffic from that netowrk to use squid

where the config says "add your rules here"
add
http_access allow office

2) To add usernames and passwords you need to perform two steps:
a) compile and install an authentication helper
(ie
./configure --enable-auth-modules="NCSA"
make
make install
would build the NCSA style authenticaiton helper).
b) edit the config file to reflect the helper, and configure the squid ACL rules.
add
acl users proxy_auth user1 user2 user3
and as before , but with a twist
http_access deny !users
http_access allow office
you can perform mixed lines like so
http_access allow office users
3) where do you set the users and passwords? That depends on the helper. Squid can integrate into SAMBA domains,
YP/NIS, PAM, MS
Domains (including NTLM CHAP authentication now), htpassword files a la apache, LDAP (against MS Active
directory/Novell NDS or any
other LDAP enabled directory...)

4) The default in squid is to let no traffic through except local cache management traffic. This is by design - open
proxy servers
allow 'bad things' to happen, and there is no way to know reliably when installing squid what local networks should be
allowed to
user Squid.

5) follow the FAQ I refered to above. All your questions are typical of a new install of squid, and have been answered
in more
detail at the squid web site.

Rob