Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Squid Firewall + Proxy

From: Rainer Ginsberg <rainer.ginsberg () de bosch com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:59:59 +0100

Marcus, this isn't really firewall related. Please kill this if not
appropriate for the list. I have cc:-ed the original sender.

On 14.12.00 19:46 -0800 Christoph <puetzc () yahoo com> wrote:

We do have problems with the configuration. Result is
always "Access denied" and we probably do something
wrong with our setup of the configuration file.

Check all http_access lines in squid.conf. Turn on ACL debugging with
debug_options ALL,1 28,2
(or an even higher debug level; 28 is the ACL section) and watch
cache.log for ACL hits.

How do I put in the IP addresses for my client? We try
to follow the example in the conf file but are not
sure if we do it right. I'd like to be able to specify
a whole class c IP address range and/or a few single
IP addresses.

Use a src ACL.

Where and how do I specify user names?
Where and how do I specify the passwords?

This depends on the way that you do authentication. In our case, they
are defined in a directory that we query with LDAP. There are many
options.

What are the changes I have to make if I just want to
open the Squid for users who will need password
authentication?

You need a helper application for authentication. See the
auth_modules directory for the helpers that come with Squid. The
helper application is specified via authenticate_program in squid.conf.

Regards,
Rainer

PS: The squid-users mailing list (see
<http://www.squid-cache.org/mailing-lists.html> would be a more