Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Event management

From: Chris Trudeau <chris () ctrudeau dyndns org>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:38:35 -0400

Yes, security alerts are important too. However both products I believe
have facilities to log to standard syslog daemons.  I know the Axent
firewalls do (thier standard logging funtions are in clear test, so
scraping these logs out of syslog will work)

Checkpoint is a different story...

ideas...

and thanks for the input for system level alerts...

Chris

Magosányi Árpád wrote:

A levelezõm azt hiszi, hogy Chris Trudeau a következõeket írta:
All,

Looking for an effective means to provide real-time (or as close as
possible) monitoring and event management for security devices....

Requirements:

A=firewall   B=management console

*Traffic from A-->B MUST be encrypted (@ least 3DES)
*Must be prtable to Linux and Solaris (Probably no problem)
*Agent/Console IS acceptable
*Must provide for DIsk utilization, CPU utilization, Temp alerts (if
available),
swap utilization and other OS level alerts
*Must be vendor Neutral (support multiple firewall vendors-specifically
Axent/Checkpoint)

I know there are commercial packages out there, but I only need to
initially implement for a small number.  If this list is monitored by
vendor representatives who want to do a demo, contact me.  The potential
is considerably larger.

If we are talking about only the event handling connected to operation
management (and not security related alerts), the following scheme seems to
work:

All devices run some scripts from cron, which checks the system health
of the system.
The output of the script is (through the stdin of ssh) sent to the health
monitoring station (which is protected on the level of intranet; untrusted
operators should look at the results, no one can operate on the firewalls
from that station).
On the monitoring station there is a Netsaint, which can be looked at through
http(s).
It can be extended by all bells-and-whistles of netsaint: bells, 3D, independent
backup stations, and (this has the best hacque level for me, although have no
real use unless one cannot see) alerts told by the computer with festival speech
synthesizer system>

The above meets all the above specified criteria, but we have not talked
about the real question: security alerts.

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból

--
Chris Trudeau