Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Trusted OS...

From: Pere Camps <pere () pere net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:47:54 +0200 (CET)

Hello,

There's the old-school definition (which I confess to favouring
myself, just because I think it makes me sound like a grizzled old
security stud:-) that a trusted OS is one that has passed the TPEP
or one of its bastard children. This means not only posessing some
cool features for expressing controls and restrictions, but also
(particularly at higher levels) posessing design documentation that
reflects a concern for security that tracks back to the start of
implementation, and some amount of documentation and perhaps code
review to help ensure that the product meets the claims.

Then there's a newer school, that likes to use the term Trusted
OS to describe an OS posessing the features --- mandatory or
discretionary access control, domain type enforcement, whatever ---
that allow more fine-grained control over processes and the
resources they're permitted to access than the traditional OS
permissions system. These speakers disregard the certification part,
and just use the "Trusted OS" tag to refer to the presense of the OS
features.

        It looks like the old school likes the "assurance" and the new
school likes the "capabilities".

        For example, the Orange Book doesn't specify many more
capabilities after the B1 level. It just adds more "assurance" that the
capabilities are implemented correctly.

        Personally, I'd like to have all the "features", but I'd rather
stick with less "assured" features if my work can get done that way, even
if it is harder to do.

        Just my 1/50 $ about my little knowledge about TOS.

-- p.