Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Trusted OS...

From: "Civ David R. Sears" <sears () eglin af mil>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:58:30 -0600

I really couldn't let this one go by without comment.

First off, I don't want to get into any religious wars over Proxy VS
Filtering firewalls.  They're a big waste of everyone's time.

I have a lot of experience with the differences between FW1 and
Sidewinder, since the Air Force has chosen to thrust Secure Computing's
solution down our collective throats.

We started off using FW1 several years ago (Versions 2.0 and 3.0).  The
product was mostly stable (although not without problems) and provided
adequate logging and protection, while allowing us the flexibility to
still accomplish our jobs.  We were running an entire air base of
12,000+ users through a single SPARC ultra with no adverse effects.
Were we inpenatrable?  Hardly.  However, we had a manageable solution
that provided us with a level of risk we were willing to accept, and we
had a single choke point to stop the bad guys.

Three years ago, our world changed when we were ordered to use Secure
Computing's Sidewinder as the "Air Force Standard" firewall solution.
We have had nothing but problems ever since.

Most of our problems stem from the fact that Sidewinder is a plausible
solution for a small business or small number of users, but doesn't
scale to a large base.  We currently have four of the silly things
trying to do what our old Ultra could handle with ease.  ($$$)  The
logging (one of the most important things on a firewall, IMO) is
terrible.  When we called Secure Computing and asked them about it, they
said, "Oh, no one uses that, use tcpdump."

I could go on about the problems we've had, but I think you get the
point.  If anyone recommends Sidewinder as a firewall solution, run
away!  Fast!

-Dave
Senior Systems/Firewall Administrator

(NOTE: These are only my opinions and in no way represent the opinions
or ideas of the USAF.)

Patrick Bryan wrote:

Speaking of Sidewinder, how does it hold up when compared to other
firewalls, suchs as Gauntlet and FW1?