Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Export restrictions for Embargo-ed countries

From: Todd Joseph <todd () ConnActivity ConnActivity com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:31:16 -0400

Bennet Todd said:
<snip>

It's worth noting that the recent changes in the US Gov't policy
have rewritten this stuff.

As far as I know, the current policy is that commercial,
proprietary code requires licensing for export, but for open source
stuff you only need to email some address at the gov't telling them
the URL where you're putting it up for download. Furthermore the
current regs explicitly state that while transfer to the half-dozen
or so embargoed countries is forbidden, someone putting up code on a
website is _not_ obliged to assist in enforcing that restriction.

This is close to what I've been told except: given closed source *and*
knowledge of the "download requestor" being from an embargo-ed
country, the download should be refused.  FWIW, there's a list of
individuals who are supposed to receive the same treatment.

As helpful as an article at /. might be, I'd recommend a good export
attourney to make sure all your bases are covered.

Todd