Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Export restrictions for Embargo-ed countries

From: "Michael C. Ibarra" <ibarra () hawk com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:35:05 -0400

At 03:26 PM 04/20/2000 -0400, Todd Joseph wrote:

We need to make a "best effort" attempt to prevent embargo-ed
companies from accessing some of our hosts on the Internet.  Yes, this
is a legal requirement. :-<

How will you prevent them from coming in through other sources in the .com
space?

-mike

Here's the current list of countries to block.  I'm yet clear on how
to keep the list up-to-date (as embargo's are lifted/enforced).

(1) Afghanistan (Taliban-controlled areas)
(2) Cuba
(3) Iran
(4) Iraq
(5) Libya
(6) North Korea
(7) Serbia (except Kosovo)
(8) Sudan
(9) Syria

Here's some thoughts on a "best effort" attempt.  Yes, there are
several ways around all of these.

(1) Block based on assigned NetBlocks.  I seriously doubt this is
possible.  Didn't find anything on ARIN that helped...

(2) Block based on Domain name.  What about a site with no PTR record?
Even if there was a PTR, the name could end in .com, .net. .org, etc.

(3) Legalise Form: "Are you from one of these countries: ?"

(4) Some combination of the above.

Has anyone here done this?

Todd