Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: SANS Flash: Urgent Request For Help In Stopping DOS Attacks (fwd) -reply

From: Mark.Teicher () predictive com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:54:47 -0400

Andrew,

A familiar poster, I have always been under the impression "If you plan
your network carefully" it will withstand the test of time.  Most
sysadmins do not have the luxury of constructing a network correctly due
to mitigating factors as "It had to be done yesterday, so we didn't have
the time"  "We'll fix it later"  or "If ain't broke, don't fix it"  A
majority of the networks that I have contributed in constructing have been
up for some time and has not suffered one minute of down time as the fate
of other companies have.  If you read the right books and have the right
amount of "CLUE" or "CLUE" factor, it is fairly simple to construct a
secure, simple network infrastructure that can scale and expand as the
organization grows.

Carelessness and lack of forethought in my mind contributed heavily to the
recent outages.  Networks should be designed to handle huge amount of data
 when they are scaled and implemented properly.  Prototype, Prototype,
Stress Test, Stress Test, talk to Marcus's cats.  I am sure they have a
couple of stories they can tell you about the networks they consulted on..
 :)

/mark

"Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
04/13/00 05:13 AM
Please respond to ajl