Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 and Packet floods

From: Jermaine Howard <jhoward () kumhotech com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:14:56 -0400

  You may want to research "winroute Pro"...it is a nice little
utility for windows and I believe it works on NT. I haven't
touched it in a while though.

Robert Hoover wrote:

Hello, I have a friend that has Win2k Pro and a DSL connection. The
problem he is having is that some script kiddies have decided to make
his life a living hell :)

So he asked me about firewalls for 2k and to be honest I haven't a clue
about NT firewalls ( I am still cutting my teeth on ipmasq/ipchains on
my system ).

I am guessing that he needs something that can do packet filtering so he
can add a rule to deny or drop anything that comes from these script
kiddies ip.

What would be the best bet for a home user that didn't want to spend
$500 on a HW firewall / router solution.

As we spend quite a bit of time on IRC we are getting attacked and
scanned a lot and being ops we get more than a few attacks from the
3733t h4x0rz.

I just need some suggestions,

        -Thanks for your help

                -Robert