Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Automated reverse probes

From: Pete Philips <pete () s3 integralis co uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:05:34 +0100

Hi all.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the following. I have
noticed a particular site that automatically initiates a
reverse traceroute when mail is delivered to it's primary
MX machine.

* Is this common? I've not seen it before.
* Would you consider it a hostile action?
* Does it break any RFCs / accepted good practices?

I certainly didn't think it was very polite!

Thanks,

Pete.

|   Pete Philips                                           \|/  |
|   Integralis S3 Team                                      O   |
|   E-mail:  pete.philips () integralis co uk                      |
|   Phone:   +44 118 930 6060                                   |
|   PGP Key: http://www.s3.integralis.co.uk/pgp/pete.pgp        |