Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Automated reverse probes

From: Aaron Turner <aturner () vicinity com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:22:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Pete Philips wrote:

Hi all.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the following. I have
noticed a particular site that automatically initiates a
reverse traceroute when mail is delivered to it's primary
MX machine.

* Is this common? I've not seen it before.

No, not really.  Surprising?  No, not really.

* Would you consider it a hostile action?

No.  Traceroute is a debugging tool, not often used to attack.

* Does it break any RFCs / accepted good practices?

No RFC's that I know of.  I can't think of any "accepted good practices"
that it's breaking either.

I certainly didn't think it was very polite!

Is the traceroute hurting you?  Eating excessive bandwidth?  Prolly not.
My guess is that the guy is trying to determine network path/latency to
other systems in order to test his own ISP.  Hooking that into the mail
server makes a lot of sense since it provides relvant information (ie, if
he doesn't talk to servers in China, then there's no reason to test them).

I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Aaron Turner        aturner () vicinity com  650.237.0300 x252
Security Engineer                         Vicinity Corp.