Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: COmpare Firewalls

From: "Dameon D. Welch" <dwelch () best com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:52:13 -0700

An application layer filter can not protect your OS against certain DOS
attacks such as a Ping of Death. A ping of death causes problems at the
IP stack, which an application can not effectively protect. An application
can filter based on IP addresses, but it's more like an access list for
the application (like TCP Wrappers) versus kernel-level packet filtering.

A packet filter can look at an entire packet and, with stateful capabilities,
can even keep track of a session. Properly configured, it can protect the
OS from attacks that otherwise would crash the IP stack. But even a stateful
packet filter has problems with things like content filtering and
authentication, which really require user-level processes to be efficient.

(This is why both technologies exist in most commercial firewalls)

Someone on the list suggested that MS-Proxy may, in fact, do some packet
filtering. I guess I don't know for sure since it's been quite a while
since I touched an MSProxy box. I do know that Microsoft is adding
some functionality to MSProxy that would make it more firewall-like,
at least if you believe the trade press.

-- PhoneBoy