Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: COmpare Firewalls

From: dwelch () phoneboy com
Date: 1 Sep 1999 19:40:12 -0700

On Wed, 01 September 1999, TUDOR PANAITESCU wrote:

I am trying to convince the people in the IT dept. here that they should get
rid of the Microsoft Proxy which is now the only "buffer" between our network
(192.168.*) and the internet and to get a firewall.

My questions are: 1. Can anybody point me to a site with some information
about the poor reliability/security/etc. of M$ Proxy?

MS Proxy is simply an application. It can't protect the OS the proxy server runs on. That in itself should be a reason
to look for something else.

2. Can anybody point me
to a site where I can find information on different firewalls in order to
compare and (try to) choose the right one?

Network World reviewed a bunch of firewalls recently (requires a free login):

http://www.nwfusion.com/reviews/0719firewalls.html

Or you might also look at this:

http://www.nwc.com/921/921f2.html

3. I'm trying also to promote
LINUX (RH6.0 with ipchains) as a temporary solution; can anybody point me to a
site where I can find "tons" of information (especially advantages) of using
LINUX ? ( success stories, important companies using LINUX as a firewall
etc...).

I don't know of a good site that might be considered an "advocacy" site for Linux w.r.t ipchains, though the best
argument I can think of is that when a security problem is found, patches are usually available within hours instead of
days as is the case with Microsoft.

--
Dameon D. Welch, a.k.a. PhoneBoy (dwelch () phoneboy com)
Check Point FireWall-1 FAQs at http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/