Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ipfwadm X ipchains

From: dwelch () uswestmail net
Date: 15 Sep 1999 00:21:04 -0700

On Mon, 13 September 1999, fgb () domain com br wrote:

Somebody can show me the advantages in migrating from ipfwadm to ipchains ?
Are the ipfwadm/ipchains a secure firewall or should I look for a commercial one ?

It's similiar code (i.e. kernel-level packet filtering) with a different interface, as near as I can tell. One
advantage ipchains has is that it's far easier to optimize your policy because you can create different "chains," which
allows you to only process certain rules under certain conditions. For me, at least, it took pretty minimal time to
change my rules from ipfwadm to ipchains.

Whether or not you should consider a commercial firewall depends on what kind of support and features you need. If
you're self supporting and you can do what you want with ipchains and other tools, then go with that.

-- PhoneBoy

--
Dameon D. Welch, a.k.a. PhoneBoy (dwelch () phoneboy com)
Check Point FireWall-1 FAQs at http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/