Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: new topic-professional hacking tecniques

From: Matt Doughty <doughtym () bsjkk co jp>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:33:11 +0900

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 10:29:26AM -0800, REID FOX wrote:

However if say ISP's start to use static IP addresses for their client's
then perhaps the ISP's could post a directory (a whois)  not with any
sensitive personal info but maybe just an e-mail and a name. That would make
users more accountable just as Domains are accountable (or known) on the
net. I cant see any honest client having a big problem with that. Like I
said before this is no security cure but it is however a step in the right
direction.
eg. Your getting some degree of attack from a certain IP regularly.
You trace it back to an ISP look it up in the ISP's whois list
e-mail the person "are you aware of ......? If this continues your ISP will
be notified ...."
the next day you get a reply from a parent of some script kid  "I use this
PC for business ..... dont know whats happening"
send reply "If you have portscan , crackers. BO Netbus etc on your system
then someone is using your PC unethically, you should uninstall these
applications otherwise your system has been compromised etc etc.."
I am sure that an honest person wether they know computers or not would
promptly deal with it  and if your lucky and the person does know a little
bit about these things then now the seasoned hacker is unaware that his mask
is off.
The advantage of this is
1: If it's a teen then the parents are informed without getting into trouble
with their ISP  (ISP dont need to be involved)
2: Also the parents do not allow this to continue because they now know what
certain apps are.  (cracker BO Netbus etc) where before they had no idea
what their kids were capable of doing with these strange programs.
3: The new ISP when the parents get sucked into thinking that they were
wrongfully cut off, does not have to deal with it.
4: One more future hacker on the road to ethics.
Now the question is who has to deal with this growing problem?
The ISP's or the Parents?
You assume a relatively high level of knowledge of the parents....
I mean your basically asking to hold someones hand through a search
of their system for these programs. Kids tend to know a lot more
about the computers then the parents.
besides if you started contacting the people directly then crackers
are just going to start filtering the mail first so their parents
never get the message.

//Matt