Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

new topic-professional hacking tecniques

From: "REID FOX" <reidfox () direct ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:15:42 -0800

This is Reid
When I mentioned "Hackers" I actually was referring to script kiddies.
My statement merely means that it would be easier to track down script
kiddies who do not use spoofing tecniques to hide their IP
When they are on a dial-up service oftentimes you can only trace them back
to the IP pool at their ISP.
On a cable system where they are assigned a static IP and when their system
will tend to be online more often however you may trace directly to their
"parents" PC .
Therefore it may be possible to resolve the problem directly without even
bothering to notify ISP's who im sure have better things to do.
Basically my statement says there are certain advantages to a static IP
system over a dynamicly assighned IP system for non-spoofing hackers.
So in some cases this may be easier than dealing with an ISP and his IP pool
who has better things to do.