Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reverse proxy ??

From: fernando_montenegro () hp com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:27:38 -0500

Hi all!

I might be waaay off base here, but I always thought that in MS parlance,
"reverse proxy" actually means accepting INBOUND connections to servers.

So, if I have an Exchange server that acts as a POP3/IMAP4 server, my MS Proxy
Server "firewall" will need to "reverse proxy" the POP3/IMAP4 port back to the
Exchange server.

If you're familiar with application level firewalls, this is what Axent calls
the "GSP" (Generic service passer) or what Gauntlet does with pop3-gw, plug-gw,

Hope I didn't add more confusion to the topic...

Cheers,
Fernando
--
Fernando da Silveira Montenegro     Hewlett-Packard Brasil
HP Consulting - Internet Security   Al. Rio Negro, 750 - Alphaville