Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security / Solutions?

From: "Kopf , Patrick E." <PEKopf () missi ncsc mil>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:32:15 -0500

I run a cable modem on my Win 95 box at home (using @Home as a matter of
fact).  I've been considering getting a product along the lines of Black Ice
Defender or @Guard.  I think both are in the $40-50 range.  As of right now
I have a conglomeration of different small security apps running (BOF,
Nukenabber, etc.).  Although these apps claim to do the kinds of things that
I'm looking for, running a bunch of them at the same time brings up some
performance issues.  (Especially with only 32M of RAM.)  I'm hoping that
changing to one piece of software for my security needs will make things run
a bit smoother.

Pat Kopf