Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Home DSL security for a neophyte

From: "Bruce B. Platt" <bbp () comport com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:22:45 -0500

At 01:34 PM 11/17/1999 -0800, m. rizzi wrote:

Take a look at the linux Router Project.  http://www.lrp.org

The mailing list they sponsor has lots of practical advice from people
doing just what you want to do.

If you've got an unused 386 or 486 box with floppy drive, 8 megs of memory,
and 2 NICs, you can
make yourself a nifty router / ipchains fw system.

Regards

->>amazed that there seem to be no 'good' solutions for home users, i.e. under
->>$200 solutions.
->
->>What are list members currently using on DSL/cable setups?
->>Anyone encountered better products for the average home user?
->
->      I joined this list a month ago for just
->      this reason. I am not a security or
->      firewall expert at all. I've signed up
->      for DSL (coming any day now) and am
->      looking for a decent solution for
->      my small home office network (one
->      Win95 box and one WinNT 4.0 box).
->
->      So far I've come across the UMAX UGate
->      3000 as a possible hardware solution,
->      though it is a bit pricey. And have
->      heard of some software solutions.
->      Also, saw a press release article
->      in Computer Currents for a new
->      offerring from Norton/Symantec
->      (forget the product name).
->
->      Any opinions on what I should get?
->
->      So far, I'm leaning towards the UMAX
->      box, mostly because a co-worker
->      has had good success with it (though
->      it doesn't support VPN, yet) and
->      I don't have to be security expert
->      to get it up and running.
->
->      Thanks in advance,
->      mike rizzi