Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security urban legends

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:53:41 -0600

Vin got me thinking, and here are some more candidates:

*) We haven't even mentioned the HERF Gun yet, have we?

I thought I saw something that debunked the hysterical stories circulating
about the London banks that paid millions in extortion to prevent HERF
attacks.

*) The printer virus that disabled the Iraqi air defense computers

Mostly I've just seen derision of those reports. Though recently I've felt
less inclined to discount the stories entierly, though the published
details were obviously recited by people that didn't understand the
technology. On the other hand, a printer could probably initiate a DoS
attack on a broadcast LAN.

*) $10,000 standing bounty on stolen laptops

One of the NRC infosec reports (CRISIS I think) reported that report that
"someone" has a standing offer to buy any laptop stolen at Washington
(Reagan) National Airport for $10,000 since some of them must contain
valuable information. Maybe it's true but it strains creduilty. If so, I'd
happily sell them *my* old laptop the next time I'm in DC :->

Rick.