Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: FW: Is this for real (e-Gap from Whale Communications)

From: "Squire, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Squire () dowjones com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:22:51 -0500

A problem that didn't get much play in Squire's review...

IMHO the e-gap mechanism shares the same fatal flaw as the competition
(firewalls, guards, etc) -- since it passes data, *and* data
today contains
executable logic, then people can always find a way to attack
the inside
via hostile logic (macro viruses, malicious applets,
whatever). The e-gap
technology doesn't do a thing about any of this itself. In
fact, their web
information suggests that they can only address such problems
via filtering
installed on the "trusted" side.

Rick makes a good point here that I didn't address. Depending on what data
is transmitted through the device you could send malicious code)... remember
this device is sneaker-net-like in their own words, so you could send a word
document through it and it contains a macrovirus that sends your credit
cards back through it.

I've heard rumors that people have even done IP embedded in SMTP
e-mail, though perhaps that's another security urban legend.

it's been done, though I never used the code:
http://www.detached.net/mailtunnel.html

-Jon Squire
Information Security Auditor
Dow Jones & Company

--
My words are my own, they represent my views... do not assume they represent
anything but my own views.