Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Proactive" Password Checking

From: Zzzil () aol com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:07:32 EST

 Now consider the password "maryhadalittlelamb"  hard to crack, easy to
remember, not a problem for dictionary crackers.   Just tell users to put a
few words _together_ for security, like their favorite song lyric or
something.

How about m"8"al2? Mary ate a little lamb?
First letter of each word, substitute "8" for ate,
and two l's makes l-squared, and ask it as a question.
Same song, just a bit more interesting and less to type.
Ease of cracking just depends on how warped the person
configuring crack is, so give 'em a little of everything to
work with. That way the poor cracker won't feel like they're
wasting time trying to second guess you...

Probably just me, but I never met a machine-generated
password that I could remember.

Lizzz