Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port Cheat Sheet

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:10:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
Seriously, the first place I always look is /etc/services on some J Q
Random Unix [or derivative] system.  The DEC one used to be very good.
The Linux one seems to be good; probably *BSDs' are, as well.  Some
companies seem to trim it a bit to mostly include the Well Known ports
and their proprietary ports, though ...

/etc/services is not usually that helpful if you're sitting on a network
and watching traffic run by in attempt to track down a problem or
intrustion. It would be helpful, for example, to be able to figure out
what could be potentially passing traffic on given ports. Let's say I
witness a ton of traffic being passed on port 35767. Well it would be
helpful to know that XXXX application or trojan horse uses that port in a
default configuration. I don't think that you want to have that kind of
information sitting around in /etc/service, but it would be helpful if
security thugs and administrators around the world had a place to tagline
ports and say things like "Hey. I've noticed XXXX trend recently."

Oh, agreed.  Fortunately, 99% of the queries I have are of the form, "I
just installed a network security program and noticed a TCP connection
on port {80,25,210,143,110,136-139,etc}, and I was wondering whether
you knew of any programs that used those ports.  ;-}

I keep the other information elsewhere.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B