Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port Cheat Sheet

From: Derek Vadala <derek () usfca edu>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 08:47:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 May 1999 sweetcheeks () mail airbridge net wrote:

Can anyone point me to a TCP/UDP port cheat sheet that has a summary of
all the port numbers for your every day common apps, as well as all the
weirdest ones, that any firewall might ever want to know about?

--sweetcheeks

Besides these most port scanners come with a services file that contains a
fairly decent list.  All the standard stuff, with some exceptions noted
below, is here:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html

A list (parts are in sweedish) of well known backdoor daemons, hacks,
etc...:

http://www.simovits.com/nyheter9902.html

Although the IANA list is fairly comprehensive, I've found the need for a
more comprehensive list that includes information about backdoors, trends
in tunneling, etc. Is anyone aware of such a document? In addition the
IANA list has some outdated information. For example, they list port 1521
as belonging to the nCube license manager, which I'm sure is the case, but
fail to mention the fact that SQL also uses this port. This problem is
inherent the nature of the IANA doc.

A worthwhile endeavor might be a searchable port database (backed  by SQL)
that allowed security folks to add comments about various ports/services.
I'd be willing to donate the box, but I don't have time to do the work.
Come to think of it, it would probably be a lot less work to convince the
Slashdot folks to add this to their site since they already have the
engine worked out.

+++ath
Derek Vadala, derek () usfca edu, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek