Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port Cheat Sheet

From: Andrew Brown <atatat () atatdot net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:22:08 -0400

Although the IANA list is fairly comprehensive, I've found the need for a
more comprehensive list that includes information about backdoors, trends
in tunneling, etc. Is anyone aware of such a document? In addition the
IANA list has some outdated information. For example, they list port 1521
as belonging to the nCube license manager, which I'm sure is the case, but
fail to mention the fact that SQL also uses this port. This problem is
inherent the nature of the IANA doc.

1521 is probably the port that was assigned to the ncube.  the problem
is that people are less likely to actually "request" a port assignment
if they are planning on using one above 1024.  so you get collisions.

as for a "comprehensive" list of ports...i was doing some work a few
months back that forced me to build a comprehensive list of ports.  i
started with the port-numbers file from iana that's been mentioned
earlier, and added in the services files from several operating
systems and a couple of port scanners in order to catch "local
quirks" and such.  i ended up with ~2500 ports listed.

http://www.graffiti.com/services

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet