Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Dialog on Microsoft's Proxy server?

From: "Peter Hunt" <peter.hunt2 () virgin net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:49:29 -0500

Thanks Rob, and yep I had missed your review.

As for the routing deficiences, here is a quick summary of our experience:

We had intended to use MSP for Intranet authentication & caching benefits
(security dictate on Proxy Intranet). Intranet testing looked good until we
configured the browsers for Internet-Proxy+Intranet-Proxy, when all Intranet
HTTP was forwarded upstream to our IBM managed firewall/proxy.

MS response (Europe) concluded two separate MSP architectures are currently
required to Proxy both Intranet & Internet. This is apparently due to MSP
routing design, which is apparently being changed and they have promised a
fix that we expect to receive soon.

I guess this means only the Proxy routing config option of 'direct-connect'
actually enables any routing decisions.

Pete