Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: H.323

From: Chris Calabrese <christopher_calabrese () merck com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:30:12 -0500

Just read this.  Very interesting.  BTW, Raptor v6 claims H.323 proxy support, s
o at
least the firewall issues can be handled.

Chris Shenton wrote:

I am interested in obtaining "lessons learned" from those of you who may
 have implemented H.323 (especially if you used NetMeeting).  Specifically,

am interested in the following:

When I was at NASA I wrote a paper on NetMeeting's (non-)
security. You might find it helpful.

http://www.shenton.org/~chris/nasa-hq/netmeeting/

After this analysis we decided not to deploy across the WAN. Just no
way to make it secure.

After I released it I got some mail from a couple firewall developers
who said they were working on actual app proxies but that they were
very complex. Maybe they exist now in a useable form -- I haven't
looked  into this recently.

4.  Any security issues?  Note, H.323 v2 has enhanced security to include
     authentication, integrity, privacy, and non-repudiation, although we ma

     be using NetMeeting... In reviewing last year's thread (Jun-Sep), I saw

    concern about the "shared application execution facility enabling remote

    users to execute unintended program on other participant's workstations"

    but I never really saw anything specific.

NetMeeting doesn't even have a concept of *user* authentication. It
assumes there's one human per IP address. Clearly developed by a
PC-mentality coder. It certainly could n't be mistaken for anything
resembling strong authentication.

In short, it's a naively designed and poorly implemented product which
can't be securred by 3rd-party gateways, protocol convertors, etc. At
least I didn't find a way back when I was investigating it. If you do,
let me know.

Thanks.

--
Chris Calabrese