Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Doing some traffic logging..

From: John Nanas <JohnN () review com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:02:08 -0500

I know that this is a security mailing list, but I have a Firewall-1 request
that's been dogging me and maybe someone here knows..  If I'm off base,
please don't flame me ;)

Our Internet access has been considerably slow as of late, and it does not
seem that bandwidth is my problem (I've monitored the router extensively).
I've been searching all possible candidates, but still nothing.  The box
running the firewall does not exhibit high CPU utilization, and I'm a novice
when it comes to Firewall-1 so I can't really do much tweaking yet (if
that's what needs to be done).

I'd like to find a way to do some analysis on the Firewall-1 logs to see
what volume of traffic is passing through that machine and what protocols
they are.  I'm hoping this will yield some clues.

Does anyone here know of any free/inexpensive products that do something
like this?  I am a rank amateur at firewalls (admittedly) but would like to
come up to speed quickly.  Any suggestions on where I can find more info or
some utilities would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,

John Nanas
Network Systems Engineer
The Princeton Review