Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Pix crashing with ISS snmp checks

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:21:43 -0500

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 06:10:57PM -0500, Eric Budke wrote:
| I'm trying to track down version numbers for this, but it appears that with
| ISS 5.6.2 in the snmp check section that we successfully killed a pix
| router (the OS version is in question).
|
| Is there a habit of this happening?
| We weren't running DOS checks, and I haven't been able to try other snmp
| checks against it...client is a little hesitant until after their
| post-mortem.

        The problem here is not with ISS, but with the PIX.  If I can
run an easily available tool and crash your firewall, you have a
serious problem.  There are checks in every security scanner which
will crash a target unexpectedly; scanners, by their nature, work
outside the bounds that the system designers anticipated.  We all try
to minimize the DOS effects, and ensure that we warn you when you hit
them, but a firewall really should be able to handle the full bore
scan without blinking.  If it repeatedly can't, I urge you to get a
refund.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume